BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: STEP 1 - TURN OFF THE POWER!
Turn off the power for the switch location at the circuit breaker box.
Test existing switch by toggling switch on/off, ensuring lights do not turn on.
Now, follow these setup steps for a single gang switch.
STEP 2 - Remove Your Old Switch
- Remove the existing wall plate and switch from the wall.
- Use voltage tester on the black wire to confirm power to the switch is off (recommended).
- Before disconnecting the wires from the wall, label each with the provided wire labels.
! Ground wire is required. If you don't have this wire, the C by GE 3-Wire Smart Switch is not compatible.
- Disconnect wires and remove existing switch.
STEP 3 - Connect The Wires
NOTE: Both black wires on the switch are interchangeable and can be connected to either the load or line wire from the wall.
- Connect the first line/load (black) wire on the switch to the line or load (black label) wire from the wall.
- Connect the second line/load (black) wire on the switch to the line or load (black label) wire from the wall.
- Connect the ground (green) wire on the switch with the ground (green label) wire from the wall.
- Cap the 3-way/multi-way traveler wire (if applicable). If you’re installing a 3-way, click here for instructions.
Attention: Incorrectly connecting the Ground wire from the wall to the Ground wire on the switch will damage the product.
- Cap the neutral wire from the wall (if applicable). Neutral wire is not required to operate this switch.
STEP 4 - Fit Wires Into Wall Box
Neatly push the wire back into the box, rotating the switch so it's oriented according to the image.
STEP 5 - Secure The Switch
Using a philips screwdriver and the screws provided, secure the switch to the wall until level and flush. Then snap the face plate cover onto the bracket.
STEP 6 – Turn the Power Back On
After the switch is secured and face plate mounted, turn the power back on at the circuit breaker box.
At the switch, LED indicator light or light ring will flash blue indicating the device is wired correctly and the device is in setup mode. Press any button on the switch to enable setup mode if setup mode times out. Now you’re ready to connect the switch to your C by GE app.
- LED indicator light or light ring will flash blue until the switch is added to the C by GE app.
- LED indicator light or light ring will flash red if the circuit is overloaded. Max load rating 1.25 amps for LED and 5 amps for incandescent/halogen.
- LED indicator light or light ring will not illuminate if wired incorrectly.
If you need additional assistance, contact C by GE Customer Service: