If the wires in your switch wall box are different from the ones listed below, we recommend consulting a qualified electrician.
Identify Wires By Color
Tip #1: An easy way to identify the wires in your wall box is by looking at the color.
If Line and Load Are Both Black
Tip #2: The Load wire is usually coming from the top of the box. The Line wire is usually coming from the bottom of the box.
Tip #3: Before removing the switch, test each wire with a voltage tester.
CAUTION: Risk of electric shock. Do NOT touch any wires during this process.
- After removing the face plate, turn the breaker back on.
- Very carefully, press the voltage pen against each wire.
- The pen will glow red when the wire is hot.
- The wire that causes the pen to glow red is the hot wire; also known as the Line wire.
- The wire that does not cause the pen to glow red is the Load wire.
CAUTION: Risk of electric shock. Before continuing with the rest of the installation process, make sure to turn the power breaker off.
If Installing a 3-Way Switch
Tip #4: If you're replacing a current 3-way switch, make sure to mark which wires are connected to the brass screws. Those are the traveler wires and are not needed for the C by GE Smart Switch.