BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: STEP 1 - TURN OFF THE POWER!
Turn off the power for the switch location at the circuit breaker box.
Test existing switch by toggling switch on/off, ensuring lights do not turn on.
Now, follow these setup steps for a single gang switch.
STEP 2 - Remove Your Old Switch
1) Remove the existing wall plate and switch from the wall.
2) Use voltage tester on the black wire to confirm power to the switch is off (recommended).
3) Before disconnecting the wires from the wall, label each with the provided wire labels.
! Neutral and ground wires are required. If you don't have either wire, the C-Start switch is not compatible.
4) Disconnect wires and remove existing switch.
STEP 3 - Connect The Wires
1) Connect the neutral (white) wire on the switch to the neutral (white label) wire from the wall.
2) Connect the line (black) wire on the switch to the line (black label) wire from the wall.
3) Connect the load (red) wire on the switch with the load (red label) wire from the wall.
4) Connect the ground (green) wire on the switch with the ground (green label) wire from the wall.
5) Cap the 3-way/multi-way traveler wire (if applicable). For 3-way switch set up, click here.
! Attention: Incorrectly connecting the neutral or ground wire from the wall to the line or load wire on the switch will damage the product.
STEP 4 - Fit Wires Into Wall Box
Neatly push the wire back into the box, rotating the switch so it's oriented according to the image.
STEP 5 - Secure The Switch
Using a phillips screwdriver and the screws provided, secure the switch to the wall until level and flush. Screw on the face plate bracket, then snap the face plate cover onto the bracket.
STEP 6 - Turn The Power Back On
After the switch is secured and face plate mounted, turn the power back on at the circuit breaker box.
At the switch, the light ring will flash blue indicating the device is wired correctly and the device is in sleep mode.
Light ring will continuously flash blue until the switch is added to the C by GE app.
Light ring will flash red if the circuit is overloaded.
Max load rating is 150W for LED and 450W for incandescent/halogen.
Light ring will not illuminate if wired incorrectly.
If lights don't turn on:
- Check that air gap switch is depressed.
- Check that power to the switch is back on at the breaker.
- Turn power off at the breaker, return to the switch to confirm the wires are securely and properly wired according to the installation guide.
Congratulations! You've completed the C by GE Smart Switch installation.
Need more assistance?
Video tutorial: How To: Install your C by GE Smart Switch
C by GE Customer Support: